Who's Online Now
We have 176 guests and no members online
Celebrating: St. John's Chapel Becomes Mission Church
Date: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Duration: 2 Hours
Contact info: Lisa Holland (843) 261-3300
Wednesday, July 7, 2010, at 7:00 p.m. is yet another milestone for St. John’s Chapel on the eastside of Charleston.
St. Michaels, Charleston; the Church of the Cross, Bluffton; Holy Cross, Sullivan’s Island and St. Andrews, Mt. Pleasant helped re-open St. John’s Chapel October 12, 2009 after it had been closed for 60 years! Shortly before that, they formed a pre-vestry with several members of St. Michael’s Church, St. John’s Chapel, St. Andrew’s Mission and Kevin Gadsden, a member of New Israel Reformed Episcopal Church. The purpose of the pre-vestry was to prepare St. John’s to become its own independent, living breathing mission church and, through prayer, to bring uncomplicated worship to the residents of the Eastside community.
Our dreams have come true! It worked! The Rt. Rev. Mark Lawrence, Bishop of the Diocese officially make St. John’s Chapel a mission on July 7, 2010, 7:00 p.m. At the same time, he will dissolve the pre-vestry and appoint a (Bishop’s) Mission’s Committee (the Vestry for a Mission). To that end, the Bishop Lawrence will do three things:
1. Confirm nearly 20 people who are going deeper in their spiritual journey.
2. Commission some of those new confirmands to serve on the Mission’s Committee (formerly pre-vestry)
3. Celebrate what God is doing at St. John’s Chapel; there is so much good news to report!
• Wonderful life!
• Spiritual Praise Music and Preaching/Teaching
• Average Sunday attendance is just over 40 people per week
• The budget is healthy and growing
• People are coming from the Eastside to Christ
• Public elementary schools (Sander’s Clyde and Progressive Elementary Schools) are being reached
During this glorious time, we will celebrate the ministries of St. John’s Chapel, including St. Michaelites: Libby Culmer, Lisa Holland, Matthew Hubble, Chris Moss and Tommy Kirkland who have been serving on the pre-vestry and now rotating off. St. John’s Chapelites: Jacob Wilson, Joseph Ancrum, Nancy Holmes, Rosa Nell, Charles Middleton, Damien Green, Tonya Ancrum, and Michael King will be on the Missions Committee (the Vestry for a Mission) for St. John’s Chapel.
Join us in prayer and praise for what God and HIS Blessed Holy Spirit are doing on the eastside of Charleston, South Carolina.